Sunday, October 11, 2015

            CHERISH VIRTUE --  Last night at the adult session of our Stake Conference, the choir sang a song that brought back priceless memories from my youth in Pomerene.  The hymn, "Dearest Children, God Is Near You," was not memorable because of the tune or the general message, but there were two words, "cherish virtue," in verse two that, as a child, I didn't understand.  Language that I didn’t understand always bothered me, so I asked my mom one afternoon after Primary what was meant by that phrase.  She was wise enough to grab this teaching moment, take me for a ride in the station wagon, while she made sure that I knew what I needed to know about the 'facts of life' and that I understood the principle of chastity thereto attached.  I have always felt especially blessed by the way she handled that little ‘vocabulary’ lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment