Tuesday, March 1, 2016


AN EYE SINGLE . . .

I have written about Zion and about the veil, inspiration, consecration, The Holy Ghost, binding Satan, the condemnation related to unbelief, about agency, and about striving.  I keep coming back to what I have read and learned from the Book of Ether and from Nephi about the veil and who has control of its drawstrings.  I continue to strive to more fully understand what the Doctrine and Covenants (84:54-57) is trying to tell us about being under condemnation because of our unbelief.  Vanity seems to have something to do with it, according to verse 55.  I guess that must mean that we rely too much on our own understanding instead of truly seeking, asking, and striving for these higher blessings.

We know from the teachings of President Ezra Taft Benson, that at least part of this condemnation relates to us, as a church, for not having paid the attention that we ought to the teachings of the Book of Mormon.  But the Spirit tells me to keep looking for a more complete definition of this ‘unbelief’ that is still stealing away so many promised blessings.

I keep asking myself, what is it that we don’t believe?  The best answer I have come up with so far, is that it refers to our disbelief in ourselves, our ability and/or worthiness to have the same access to angels, miracles, and “the visions and blessings of old” that really haven’t returned that much, despite what the song says.

I also keep coming back to D&C 88:67-68:  “And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.

“68. Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you . . .  .”   

I have a deep suspicion that if I could fully understand and achieve the “eye single” thing, that the rest of it would fall into place of its own accord.  Having an eye single to the Glory of God is kind of like laying our burdens at the Master’s feet.  We all believe in it, but nobody teaches us how to do it. 

Why are we so reluctant to tackle those precious things that we can only learn by the Spirit?  Could it be the workings of that nebulous level of belief that most of us have in ourselves?             




No comments:

Post a Comment